Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blog #19 - The Battle Cry

Both the West Coast and the East Coast have had an effect on my interest and connection with craft beer and the brewing industry. The West Coast has tempted me with reachable beer tasting events and amazing craft beer cities like Portland, San Francisco and San Diego that deliver Imperial IPAs, sour styles and amazing history connected to the rebirth of the industry.

The East Coast on the other hand has opened my eyes to well established beer stores, weekly podcasts and insane special release dates such as Dark Lord Day by three Floyds, Kate Day by Portsmouth and Darkness Day by Surly.

I don’t know about you, but watching videos that show people coming together to talk, trade, discover and drink some unbelievable styles and concepts that were unheard of even 20 years ago gets me excited. I decided after watching some of these (Bruisin Ales, Finger Lakes Beverages Center, Westmere Beverage) that I want to seriously see what it takes to get a store going and keep it running while making at least a minor profit.

So since I started the tasting group last year, put serious effort into updating my 12 year tasting list that is nearing 1000 entries, tasted beer in 6 countries, driven thousands of miles on pubcrawls, worked with every group in Fresno that brews in Fresno (BJ’s doesn’t count) and attended Beer School...I figured I would put the resources of the Central Valley Business Incubator to the test and see if there is any way in hell I can turn my hobby into a viable business. Starting this last Monday I have been staying up every night working on a business plan, step-by-step.

The road is long and trecherous, but it must be traveled. Who’s with me? CHAAARGE!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, keep up the brainstorming! By the way, the new layout looks great!

    ReplyDelete